T.I.S... This Is Samoa.
Since a fellow volunteer read her essay during our Mid-Service conference, my friends and I have been quoting her with this phrase. T.I.S. Whenever we are faced with a hilarious or absurd situation that can only be encountered here, "T.I.S.". Here are a few of the T.I.S. moments that have happened to me this month. Some are silly, some are touching, all are memorable.
Encountering a student at CJ's
One Saturday I was sitting at Carl’s Jr. (aka CJ’s) to use the internet and get some work done. When I walked in, one of my sophomore boys was standing outside. He seemed to be in a silly mood, hiding his face behind his backpack and peeking out at me from behind it. I went in and sat down, not ordering any food. He came in a few minutes later with his friend and sat at the other side of the restaurant. About 30 minutes later, I was still sitting there, working on lesson plans when he came over and set a soda and straw on my table. “Here you go miss. See you on Monday.” I was touched. This student had used his own money to buy me a drink while I worked. Zumba
A couple weeks ago, the principal announced that we would be starting Zumba after school. I was excited about this, since I love Zumba. I took the classes when I was in college, and had been doing a video on my computer that I got from a friend’s hard drive. When the bulliten said that it was time for Zumba, I was ready the next day with my shoes and change of clothes. I was not sure who was in charge, but I was looking forward to joining in.
At lunch that day, my department head asked me to get the school’s projector and set it up in the large classroom, since I had prep the last period of the day. I said sure, that I’d be happy to help. At the beginning of 6th period, I got a call from another teacher. “Amanda, I heard you are in charge of Zumba, right?” I was confused. How did I go from setting up the projector to being in charge? I went down to get the projector from the principal, and she gave me the dvd’s we were going to use. However, my computer is a small netbook and does not have a disc drive. The mac laptops that the teachers used needed an adapter to connect to the projector. I told the principal that if it was ok, we could just use the Zumba video on my computer. SO at 3:00 I was in the big classroom, setting everything up while some of the other teachers began coming in. I started the video and coached and encouraged everyone through it, since I had done it several times before. We had a good time and everyone was excited to do it again.
As I was packing up, the boys’ varsity basketball coach walked in. She asked if the boys could also do Zumba as part of their practice for the day. I said sure, and the kids came in. I knew a few of them, and had one in my 5th period class. The second the video started, the boys were distracted by the pretty girls in skimpy workout clothes swiveling their hips. “Ohhhh Zuuummbbaaa!!” was the enthusiastic reaction from most of team. I was laughing to myself on the inside while telling them to focus and keep moving. It was hilarious, they loved it and they next morning when I got to school, I had several of them ask, “Miss, Zumba today?”
Day-to-Day things
The bus stops for the cricket game in progress…so that the ball can be caught from the other side of the road.
“These marshmallows are from Guatemala?” – Julie
“I’m getting lots of ideas on how to decorate the inside of a bus.” – Amber
Frogs keep trying to get into my house
While riding in the back of a pickup to a friend’s birthday we are caught in a downpour and soaked within minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment