Monday, April 16, 2012

"Feces is the science word for poop" - Heidi to her 6th period class

It has been a few weeks since my last post about New Zealand, and so much has happened since then. The school year is winding down and the craziness has intensified. The Friday after Spring Break was Speech Festival, held at Tafuna High School. Since so many students were involved, and several teachers went to help out, I had to sub for a few classes and had a bunch of extra kids in my room. Needless to say, it wasn’t the most productive day. Our school did not place overall, but we did win in two different categories!
----------------------------------------------------

Yay for Guest Speakers!
On Wednesday, my 5th period had a presentation from the Deaf students at our school. NVTHS is the only high school on island with a program for Deaf Students, and they had spent the week traveling to the other schools to give their presentation. I wish I had brought a camera in to take pictures. They had a blast learning the different signs, and I got to sit at the back and let someone else take over my class!
----------------------------------------------------

Senior Ball
On Thursday, NVTHS had our Senior Ball. I was encouraged to go by my field director who told me that “I’d never again see so much satin in one place”. He was right. Just seeing the students’ attire was worth it, I wish I had taken more pictures. It was a bit different than a normal prom back in the states. For one, it was held at C.C., or the Country Club (there’s a golf course there), which doubles as a bar called Nighthawk (my high school mascot! Haha!). So essentially, the senior ball was at a bar…even though they weren’t serving any alcohol that night. Also,  they are served dinner at the dance instead of going out to a restaurant beforehand, and usually their parents or other family members are there. The students are escorted in to the dance by their date, or a friend or family member, while one of the senior advisors announces each couple.
Sadly, I don’t know very many of the seniors, since I teach sophomores and juniors. However, there were a few that had to re-take U.S. and/or World History, and had been in my class. One of these, a football player I’d had in my 3rd period last semester, didn’t have a partner to escort him in. He called me over and asked if I would escort him. So I took his arm and we walked in to the center of the dance floor. With a little bow, he handed me a corsage and then gave me a big hug. Some other teachers, including Heidi and Melinda, my fellow volunteers, escorted students as well.
After dinner had been served the kids were dancing up a storm. Towards the end of the night, they had a traditional Samoan siva (dance). This is where one or more people are dancing Samoan-style in the middle, with everyone else dancing around them and throwing money (kind of like the dollar dance at weddings, but crazier). The MC announced that the teachers would come out for the Siva.  “Come on Miss, let’s go!” said one of my students. I reluctantly followed him out there and began the siva, feeling super self conscious. After a couple minutes, the other teachers and administration joined in. I felt ridiculous, but it was a success!
----------------------------------------------------

Friday..
Due to the dance on Thursday, most of the seniors didn’t show up for school on Friday. In fact, several students were gone. Most of my classes were pretty empty so I just let them watch a movie. We had a showcase so that students could practice their routines for the trades fair at the end of the month, and got out of school early. The football team was having a scrimmage at the practice field across the street, so we took the kids over to watch. Earlier in the week I’d been telling Heidi how much I’d love to see the boys play just one more time, so I was excited for the scrimmage. It made me nostalgic for football season! Since I am not going to be teaching in American Samoa next year, I won’t be there to see my boys play again, or to coach my cheerleaders. Some of the boys have been leaving their football gear in my classroom during the day, and even though it makes the room stink, it’s one of those little things that I’m going to miss. It’s going to be so hard to say goodbye to these kids. It’s been stressful and frustrating at times, and I’ve gotten mad at them on several occasions. But at the end, I really do love my students. They are so funny and make me so proud.
The next few weeks are going to be nuts, and I’ll try to do a better job of keeping this updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment