Hey Everyone!! So as many of you know, the internet at our house is not reliable at all. I haven't been able to upload pictures to this blog or to Facebook since we left orientation. So today I am sitting in the nice, cool, air conditioned McDonalds, using the free wifi (free from noon to 8!!) So these 6 pictures literally took an hour to upload, so until I get better internet, don't expect many pictures!
Things are going well, missing home, but life here is good! It's hard to talk to family at home, and hear what's going on and not be there. But I'm settling into a little routine, and getting more comfortable at school. There's a chance I may be getting a classroom this week, so keep your fingers crossed!!
Those of you who know me well know that I am a planner. I have to have everything planned out well in advance. That is not always compatible with the fa'a samoa (the Samoan way of life) where things are often changed at the last minute. So I am working on adapting to that. For example, on Friday during lunch, the students were practicing their class cheers for the pep rally next week. And they kept on practicing. The bell never rang for 5th period. So we just completely skipped 5th period, and then the bell rang around 2. So we went to 6th period, and then were done for the day. Crazy!
Another thing about planning...I am trying to plan a trip to New Zealand for Christmas. I am so close, so why not? Might as well take advantage of the opportunity! I have also decided that when I get back home, I will likely enroll at EWU again and take that year to get my English endorsement before applying to teaching jobs. Being able to teach both history and English will open up more opportunities. If there is one thing I have already discovered here it's that I was meant to be a teacher. I feel completely comfortable in this role, and I know that I was made to do this. So I am excited to learn a lot this year, and come home not just stories, but actual ideas to help in my future teaching.
This is the house where our apartments are. 5 people live up on the porch area, and I live with 2 other girls in a apartment around the back corner in the far right. The front left of the upstairs porch is where we sit to (hopefully) connect to the internet!
This is the view of our place from the road. The family calls this their garden. I just call it a jungle.
Melinda (who lives upstairs) and Veronica in our kitchen. Yes, that is a mini dorm fridge that is being shared between 3 people. Also, we don't have a real stove, just 2 burners that sit on the counter and plug into the wall.
The fale (fall-ay) attached to the house. A fale is a traditional Samoan house.
Food for one person. Not including desert.
This is the American Samoan flag that the other WorldTeach volunteers got me for my birthday, and they all signed it! I love it!
Manuia le aso! (Have a good day!)
Hi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteSounds like life in the jungle is an adventure. Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know what is going on in Uncle Bill's house.
Haliey has been here for a month while performing in the Spokane Civic Theatre's production of " Footloose ". She was amazing!
She met a lot of wonderful people and will treasure the experiance for years to come.
She is going to head home this Wednesday and start preparing to get ready for Big Bend Community college.
Brandon is doing well and loving his job at Starbucks. He is saving money to move out on his own. He would like to be out by the time he is 21. Otherwise he is one terrific young man, and very focused on what he wants at this time in his life.
The weather has been great here,around the mid 80's and we actually hit 91 yesterday (21st). This whole week we are expected to hit the mid to upper 80's and lots of sunshine.
Jenyce told me to tell you hi and we both love you and have you in our prayers. God Bless you and I'm proud to say that I'm your uncle.
Take care and rock the socks of those Somoan's
Uncle Bill, Aunt Jenyce, Cousins Brandon and Haliey