Saturday, August 6, 2011

"The Internet is on Samoan Time"

So, the title of this post is the reason why I haven't been writing, sharing pictures, or contacting many people very much in the last week. (Wow, I can't believe it's been only a week! SO much has happened!) Peter pointed out that the internet was on Samoan time, and it definitely is. Half the time we can't connect to it, and when we do it's only on the porch by Heidi and Melinda's apartment or in their living room. And even then, it's usually very slow and the connection will usually time out more than once.

Since I may have a limited amount of internet time, I will try to fill you in as quickly as possible!
A week ago we moved out of the classrooms we were staying at in Nu'uuli VocTech, and into our homes! Our apartment is in Pava'ia'i. There is a laundromat and little store just steps from our front door, and everywhere you look there's lush green palm trees and plants. The Samoan family that we are renting from lives on the property and they had us join in on a blessing of the house. We got to eat Samoan food cooked in an umu (outdoor oven, that Peter helped prepare!) and we served the village chiefs before eating. Quite an experience!

This past week we visited our schools and got room assignments. Alas, I am the unlucky one who doesn't actually have a classroom. There just aren't enough rooms at my school, but the principal says she is still working on trying to get me one. But I'm not getting my hopes up. So I'll just be floating from room to room wherever someone has a prep period. Was I upset at this news? Yes. Will I be flexible and deal with it? Yes. Being patient and flexible is the key to sanity (or partial sanity at least) here on the island.

Also this week we attended orientations by the DOE on the new revised standards and benchmarks for our subject areas. Did these seem long and repetitive? Yes. However I did meet some pretty cool teachers that I'm sure I'll be able to use as a resource this year.

My birthday is tomorrow!! I have received care packages from my family and cards from friends. Last night we went out and celebrated. The WorldTeach group bought a Samoan flag and they all signed it with birthday wishes for me. Such a cool idea!! I was very touched. Today I was going to go snorkeling, but it has been rather rainy all day so I just laid low and hung out at home, resting up for the week ahead. School starts on Monday!! Let the madness begin!!

(I will upload pictures later, the internet is still on Samoan time!)

Before I go, I will share the BEST news of the week:: I will be home in time for Anna's high school graduation!!! (Sorry Millie, I'll still miss your 4 hour Whitworth graduation) I was SO happy when I found out!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment