Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Perfect Saturday

The last couple weeks have been a bit of a rollercoaster. There have been definite highs and lows.
Lows: being a little sick, and having things happen back at home.
Highs: getting my own classroom (Yay!!), getting my cheerleaders’ uniforms, and having fun around the island.

But let me just focus on what an amazing day I had yesterday. (For the record, I am completely healthy and over my cold). Yesterday I had such a good day, which was needed after a particularly tough week at school. My friend Julie spent the night Friday. She teaches on the little island of Anu’u, which is 2 bus rides and a short boat ride from Tutuila, the island I’m on. She and her roommate come over to Tutuila most weekends to get groceries and other essentials and hang out with people here. In the morning, we both had a cup of the coffee my mother sent me. I’m not a big coffee drinker, but I do love International House coffees. Mom had sent me 2 tins of my favorites, and I had been looking forward to having some all week. (It takes too long to boil water to have some in the mornings before school) After getting ready, Julie went off to do her shopping and I went over to the post office to send some letters and meet up with my friend Alison. Alison and I then went kayaking for a little over an hour. It’s hard for me to describe how I felt out there on the water. It was so relaxing to float and talk, then paddle around looking for sea turtles (didn’t see any). Plus the views around us were of course gorgeous, and the water is the most incredible shade of blue-green. It was simply amazing, and something I will defiantly do again, several times. After kayaking we went and got lunch then some home-made snickers ice cream. Then I went home and sat on the porch and read a book, while listening to the cheers coming from the Laundromat. (Western Samoa was playing Wales in the rugby tournament, and the Laundromat has a TV with cable so everyone and their mother was crowded in there watching) 

All in all, I could not have imagined a more perfect Saturday. 

 Alison and I out on the water


 Me being silly

This is the area that we kayaked in

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous that you guys can just go out kayaking together like it's no big deal. haha. I miss you guys!!! <3, Cat

    ReplyDelete