Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sorry it's been so long...

So I just realized that I haven't posted anything for awhile....I apologize :( I will try to do better!

I am currently on the little island of Anu'u with my friends Julie and Rosa, who are WorldTeach volunteers at the elementary school here. Today is White Sunday, which is a special day for kids in American Samoa. They get dressed up in white and perform songs, skits, and dances during church. They have mother's day, father's day, and white sunday is just for the kids. So I went to church with Julie this morning, and got to see the festivities...it was great! Afterward, we went and ate with a family that she's friends with, then ate and ate some more! I will put pictures up when I go back to Pava'ia'i tomorrow...

Time is flying by and there are so many things happening. It's a bit hard to process it all and put it into words, so I'm just going to list some of the things that have happened since my last post about kayaking...

1. School is going really well....we are at MIDTERMS. Half way through the semester already, I can't believe it!
2. On Friday our high school had their Mr. and Miss NVTHS pageant. It was hilarious! I loved it. They are making a dvd, so I'm going to buy one.
3. Last weekend I went out to Tisa's Barefoot Bar on the east side of Tutuilla with Amber. It was so nice, relaxing with a pina colada! We were going to swim, but then saw some reef sharks swimming close to shore, so decided not too...later we saw whales in the distance. So cool!!
4. Two days ago was the first Friday of the month, which is when there are a lot of people and vendors at the market in Fagotogo, so we went to check it out....Julie and I were interviewed on the spot for the TV show Flight Night!! I'm pretty sure it's on YouTube, if you want to try and find it. I'm going to look for the link and put it on here...
5. I don't have a microwave, but at a friend's house I had POPCORN for the first time in almost 3 months!! It was amazing.
6. One of my students took the ASVAB test, and a vocab word I had taught them was on there. He was so happy that he knew it, and I was so proud!!
7. I am SO thankful to my friends and family who are emailing, calling, facebooking, skyping, sending things, and staying in touch in general. I feel so out of the loop sometimes, it's so nice to hear from people on a (somewhat) regular basis.
8. One of my students moved to California. Saying goodbye to him after just 2 months of school made me emotional. How am I going to say goodbye to the rest of my kids at the end of the year? I don't even want to think about it
9. One of my good friends from college got married last weekend...She asked me to be a bridesmaid, but obviously I couldn't be there. I would have Loved to, though. Congrats to the new Mr. and Mrs. Wells!
10. In just over 2 months I will be seeing my family in Hawaii for Christmas!!!

So that's what's been happening in my life here on the island....again, I will try to put up pictures tomorrow (if my internet is cooperating)

Manuia le aso!!

1 comment:

  1. I just want to thank-you for committing this part of your life to an extraordiary journey you're on. You and your colleagues, faafetai lava and manuia le Tausaga Fou.
    I found your blog when I was goggling pics from home. I was born and raised there, gruaduate form Marist...when it was still an all boys school back in '87. Which has now kinda gauged how old I am... anyways...you ponder the question on how to handle the emotions when its time to leave. Well hun, you ain't the first nor the last. To be blunt and cold-hearted, you have to disconnect yourself from your work at the end of everyday. The day you decide that...the better you're off. I know its cold, but thats just the simple truth. You'll be doing them a favor as well. So keep your head up and stay safe. Again Happy new Year...and God bless.

    Soifua from Virginia Beach, Va.

    ReplyDelete