Wow, three weeks went by fast! Tomorrow we are having brunch at Sadie's then doing some last minute cleaning, then heading to our houses/apartments! It's hard to believe that I will not see these people every day. Yes, I am excited to have a real bed (instead of a foam mattress on the floor), and a place to unpack all my things, and to just get settled in and ready for school. However, it is bittersweet because I have become close to and very fond of the other volunteers. Six of them will be leaving for the outer islands (Manu'a) and we won't see them for months, which is crazy to think about. I am going to be living in an apartment in the village of Pava'ia'i, which is on the west side of the island. There are 8 of us at this place, in 3 different apartments ( two 3-bedroom, and one 2-bedroom). I'll be sure to post pictures ASAP!
Fa'afetai, Nu'uuli PolyTech H.S.!
Last night we went to the airport to see Alison (last year's field director) off. She is heading back to Portland (yeah! another Northwest girl!) for a couple weeks then returning to AmSam to work at the community college. Well, going to the airport here is a huge deal. There is even a tv show called "flight night" that films all the people coming and going through the airport. So we all went and actually had a great time, even though we didn't see any cameras. I think you can go on YouTube and search "Flight Night American Samoa" and find the show. I wouldn't know because YouTube is blocked here at the school.
Saying Tofa to Alison
Julie and I at flight night!
Orientation has kept us pretty busy the last few days. We have been teaching 20-minute lessons to some Samoan students in the afternoon for the last 3 days. I've really enjoyed watching how the other volunteers teach their subject, and how the students respond. I taught Geography and the Explorers for my lessons, and I feel like they went really well! One of the students even said that he hadn't had that much fun in history in a long time! Score one for Amanda! Now if only all my lessons this year will go that well.....oh well, I can dream!
Check out this mural, on a building by the library in Utulei
School bus that drove us into the jungle
Fagatele Bay National Marine Sanctuary
No comments:
Post a Comment