Sunday, May 6, 2012

28 days

Today, right before my Sunday morning ritual of coffee and a long phone call with my mother, I looked at the calendar. I counted the days I have left on island until I make my way back to the Northwest. 28. 28 days.

28 days does not seem like nearly enough time for all the stuff that will be going on in the next few weeks.  It's hard to believe that I have less than a month. I remember when we had only been on island for a month. The school year had just started. I was overwhelmed, homesick, and wondering how on earth I was going to remember the names of all my students.

Now, I can't imagine how I'm going to say good bye to my kids, pack up all of my stuff (and I have A LOT of stuff!) and leave this place. I feel like there is still so much I could still do here, so much I still have to teach my students.

some of my 5th period students with a Flag Day poster the girls made


Before we go, all the volunteers will attend an End of Service meeting. Ours is scheduled for next Saturday. One of the topics of the meeting is adjusting to life back at home. I'm not sure if I am prepared for that transition, since I have no idea what to expect.

Will it be easy to fall back into my "old" life and my former ways? Or will I still be wearing lava lavas and making toast in the frying pan? After almost a year in Samoa, I'm less obsessed with having a set plan, and mostly just play things by ear. Will I still be on "Samoan time" in Washington? Other than my immediate family and my friend Megan, I have not seen anyone from home since last summer. Will my relationships with people be different?

I know that this experience has changed me. But to what extent remains to be seen.

It's been a crazy ride, but it's not over yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment