Since this is a more conservative culture, we need to be more covered up while swimming....No Bikinis!!
I was able to go to mass this morning at Holy Family Cathedral. It was a gorgeous church. It had large windows on all sides that were open to let in the breeze. This is our last week of Orientation, and it is filled with teaching practice lessons, visiting the national park, more Samoan language classes, and last but not least, moving out! I know we'll all be glad to get settled into our houses/apartments, and stop sleeping on foam mattresses on the floor. However we've all become pretty close and it'll be weird to not be with everyone all the time.
I bought some fabric our first day here, and then Drew and Alison gave us our WorldTeach fabric so we could get ie's made (pronounced ee-ay) which are long skirts that tie at the waist. they are actually longer for girls (around ankle length) than for boys (just below the knee, usually).
Those of us teaching at Nu'uuli Voc-Tech talked to our principal last week and found out what classes we will (likely) be teaching. I could not believe my luck when she handed me the schedule and it had 2 sections of US History and 3 sections of World History! Not only do I absolutely LOVE these subjects, but I have experience teaching them (I taught 3 sections of World History during my student teaching). Getting that information definitely relieved some of the stress I was feeling about teaching!
Some funny things:
1.We are eating school lunches during the week. These are...questionable....to say the least. The first day we had one that was eggs on a hamburger patty, on a bed of rice, all topped with gravy. Appetizing!
2. A few of us have been frequenting the Carl's Jr. down the road. One day, two employees introduced themselves to us, and on Friday when Quinn and I went back, they remembered us. We started chatting and they insisted that we sit down and share their banana cream pie. Then one of the women tried to buy us a plate of nachos.
3. People here usually drive fairly slow. around 20-30mph. So the other night when a pickup went speeding by (at probably 35-40) we were shocked and quite surprised. What's going to happen when I get home next year and people are driving 50-60mph?
Here are some more pictures from the last 2 weeks!
V for VocTech! Ashley, Heidi, Melinda and I are all teaching at Nu'uuli.
The market in Fagatogo
"Fast Food"..?
A big group of us went to see HP7!
Tree down Tasi st. (1st st) in Nu'uuli
On the 2nd floor of VocTech H.S.
The whole group on our island tour
Toes in the sand at Fatu Rock
This has been a long post, but I hope you enjoyed it!
Until next time, take care, and manuia le aso (have a nice day!)



Looks like you are having a great time! I know what you mean about the driving. Okinawa was the same way. When I came home and had to drive on the highway going 70 (where most drive 80) it was a little scary! It only takes a day or two before you are back in the swing of things and loving driving fast again! Do they drive on the same side as the states or opposite? Okinawa was opposite, which made it much more difficult to make the transition. Loving your posts! :)
ReplyDelete