We have been pretty busy each day, with classes ranging from Samoan Language and Classroom Set-Up, to Curriculum and Health & Safety. Today we were given blue fabric with the WorldTeach American Samoa logo on the bottom, so we can have them sewn into lava lava's (long skirts that tie at the waist) to wear for school and such. We are also encouraged to buy fabric and have a puletasi made (or two!) for formal occasions as well. A puletasi is traditional island dress, and consists of a skirt and matching shirt. They are absolutely beautiful, and once I get them made I will be sure to post pictures!
Like I said, we have been pretty busy with orientation activities, and free time has been spent getting cell phones and setting up bank accounts (which takes forever!!). Our group has been split up into smaller groups that make dinner on certain nights. So far we've had spaghetti and breakfast for dinner - pancakes, eggs, bacon - plus a little entertainment (Peter is awesome at juggling!).
Tomorrow we head out for a tour around the island, which I am very much looking forward too. We haven't seen much except for Nu'uuli (where we are staying), Utulei, and Fagatogo. Also tomorrow several of us plan to see the newest (and final!) Harry Potter film! Yes, there is a movie theater here, within walking distance. Those of you who know how much I love going to the movies, and how obsessed I am about Harry Potter could probably imagine my excitement!
I will leave you with a picture taken the other day in front of an aiga bus. These are the main mode of transportation on the island (hitchhiking is also very common, we just need to be safe and always have a friend with us!) . A ride on these colorful buses is just a dollar (a quarter for school kids), and you are treated to a nice island breeze through the open window and a crazy but entertaining mix of music, from US top 40 pop hits to island reggae to a Samoan kid singing his own version of Justin Beiber.
Tofa! (Goodbye!)
I see a potential art project in the design of the bus you are traveling in!
ReplyDelete